Sales associate job description
Sales associate job description
This is a sales associate job description template with a short role overview. It’s meant to assist you in getting a clear overview of the sales associate role and provide an optimized description for posting on your careers page or online job boards. Use it as you see fit!
What is a sales associate?
Sales associates are employed to sell anything from clothing to electronics to mobile subscriptions. Sales associate duties also include explaining the key product or service features, solving customer inquiries and requests such as complaints, refunds or returns, and even helping out with store maintenance.
The best and brightest sales associates might be promoted to supervisory roles. These sales associates are consistently dedicated to offering the best experience for their customers.
Sales associate jobs might also be advertised as “Sales floor associate”, “Retail associate”, “Store sale associate”, “Store associate”, or “Retail sales associate”.
Sales associate job description template
What does a sales associate do?
As our new sales associate, you will be responsible for managing all customer questions about our products and services, as well as gracefully and empathetically handling complaints and concerns. Additionally, you are expected to continuously update your knowledge of our products, services, and policies, as well as lend a hand in maintaining the store in excellent working order.
Sales associate responsibilities
- Aim to have a positive effect on customers from the moment they enter the store until they leave.
- Address customers in a friendly, helpful, and polite manner.
- Assist customers with requests in-store, online, and via phone.
- Be highly knowledgable of all our products and services.
- Achieve an optimal fit with the customer’s needs and offer viable alternatives when requested.
- Improve customer engagement and provide outstanding customer service.
- Ensure optimal inventory levels and, when needed, restock the shelves.
- Replace or add price tags to shelves or products, as needed.
- Inform customers of any current offers, promotions or advertisements.
- Use the POS/cash register to process purchases.
- Handle returns and refunds producing maintaining friction with the unsatisfied customers to a minimum.
- Create opportunities to cross-sell relevant products.
- Achieve team/department goals on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis.
- Be a team player!
Sales associate skills, qualifications, and attributes
- High school diploma or an associate’s degree.
- 1-2 years of retail sales or customer service experience.
- Willing to sometimes work nights, weekends, or holidays (to be discussed).
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to perform basic math operations.
- Strong inclination to provide the best customer service.
- Maintaining a positive outlook while focusing on customer satisfaction.
- Able to perform under pressure.
- High attention to detail.
- The ability to be polite yet persuasive.
- The ability to maintain a professional appearance and tone.
- Able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Good social skills.
Nice to haves
- Proven over-achiever in a sales role.
- Proven understanding of sales psychology and techniques.
- Passion for our products and services.
- Outstanding social skills.
- Supervisory experience.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Bachelors in a relevant field.
- [X] salary
- [X] vacation days
- Sick, personal, and parental leave
- Child and elder care
- Health insurance
Does this sound right up your alley? If so, do not hesitate to apply, or someone else might!